• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Helmut Lang Cuiron Copy Cat

jdnba

May 30, 2007
This was one of my favorite fragrances, but now you have to pay an arm and leg for it. Does anyone know of a good copy cat?

Thanks!

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Not really. There are several that have that suede leather of Cuiron such as Daim Blond, Bottega Veneta and Cuir d'Ange, though none of these have the citrus-spice of Cuiron.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
I've read a lot of reviews that say Cuiron is deceptively a "leather" fragrance when it is way more translucent and diaphanous than what most would think of when picturing a leather fragrance.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I had a bottle back in 2004.
It was a blind buy and man did I get compliments when I wore it. It was relaunched in 2014.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Funny enough I just bought an unopened bottle of this off eBay-I stumbled across some reviews that said it’s basically a replica. Will see how it goes! Thanks for the recommendations y’all!

Looking forward to your comparisons of Piper Leather and Cuiron.

jdnba

May 30, 2007
Got to tell you…Piper Leather could be a replica of Cuiron. It’s exactly like I remember Cuiron smelling. So happy with this purchase.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Me, 2002 in Nordstrom's, Las Vegas Fashion Show Mall, trying to decide between M7 and Cuiron. Who wouldn't love to have that predicament today? I chose Cuiron, but eventually bought M7 as well (I must have had about 20 free samples of M7 sprays and a dozen or so sample body washes given to me by Nordstrom at the time so it's not like I NEEDED to buy a bottle.)

jdnba

May 30, 2007
Me, 2002 in Nordstrom's, Las Vegas Fashion Show Mall, trying to decide between M7 and Cuiron. Who wouldn't love to have that predicament today? I chose Cuiron, but eventually bought M7 as well (I must have had about 20 free samples of M7 sprays and a dozen or so sample body washes given to me by Nordstrom at the time so it's not like I NEEDED to buy a bottle.)

I know…I think about all the colognes that I used to have or could have bought and either sold, gave away or passed up. Crazy!

jdnba

May 30, 2007

I know…I think about all the colognes that I used to have or could have bought and either sold, gave away or passed up. Crazy!

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001

Oh those halcyon days of yore…

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Finally have the chance to test out Cuiron after being on my radar for years now. Ordered a sample of vintage Cuiron and it is surprising but also not surprising. It definitely reminds me of Odeur 53, but feels grittier with facets of Bvlgari Black's urban concrete jungle smell. There's also aldehydes and some industrial cleaner freshness.
Gives me a feeling of 90s Hong Kong depicted by Wong Kar-Wai's movies.

b73d6284843c475ea05dbdc6c95b580b

7bf0ee0e-5ed1-4a5a-b30c-684c674ccceb_0561801e.jpg

BODY-010_A7A17250_088.jpg

6681a2faa7fc93ca0dba204ff8360806.jpg

Movie-still-Faye-Wong-Chunghing-Samlam-Chunking-Express-1994.jpg

There is something quite mysterious and alluring about it because of how unusual it smells.

I would pair it with minimalistic outfits:

unknown.png

I can imagine it suiting someone who is into this type of design:

unknown.png

jdnba

May 30, 2007
This one is by far the closest I have sniffed. It was far from inexpensive the last time I checked, so it may not save you much over buying Cuiron.

It is about 60-100 bucks cheaper depending upon which eBay person you buy from. In some cases bottles are jacked up extremely high(Cuiron that is). It’s crazy! That said, I am really enjoying Piper as it definitely “scratches the itch”

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
One thing I was surprised about Cuiron is how the drydown reminds me of the drydown of other mainstream masculine fragrances. I detect facets similar to Fierce and Platinum Egoiste's drydown. It is that "shaving cream" smell. There is a little twist in the beginning, but overall the scent is quite a straight forward masculine scent. I can understand how useful of a scent Cuiron's drydown would be to someone who is loyal only to Helmut Lang fragrances. Personally, I'm just going to pretend he only ever launched Eau de Cologne, and Eau de Parfum in my head cannon. The men wore Eau de Cologne, and the women wore Eau de Parfum.

Derbyman

Jan 26, 2010
Just as a point of interest for anyone looking at Illuminum 'Piper Leather' as an alternative to the Cuiron - Illuminum London are currently selling it in their sale for £15.00 (50ml) and £18.00 (100ml) plus £5 shipping for UK customers. I had a sample of Cuiron a few years ago and seem to remember liking it so I've just snagged a bottle of the Illuminum - seemed too good to pass up at those prices...!

piper_leather3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria Galeas