Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Majano?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 1:07am

Those good pics are of the type of anemone that I have found quite easy to remove manually. I pinch them between my fingers, being certain to have a good hold on them with my fingernails, and pull them right off the rock. It's easy. No messing with Kalkwasser paste or the stress of introducing a new fish. The trick is to not be afraid of them and to get a firm hold on them.

BTW Kleins prefer small pesky anemones to anything else. But when the anemones are gone they have been known to pick at LPS. Removing a Kleins is no more difficult than any other fish by skilled netting or a good trap.

Regarding telephone communications with a company representative, you might be surprised at how little some of those people really know and how often they are just making things up to look smart. I know, because I've done it myself. Since my foray into the world of the LFS I have come to realize how little I really know.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 1:18am
My only problem removing these is that I can't access them and I am absolutely dreading pulling out the live rock to get to them. That is where the kleins would become my best friend. But I would hate to have to remove it later (that's not something you do to friends ).

If it would be able to manage ok in an aggressive tank ( triggers, eels, puffers ), then I could move it to another one of my tanks.

It is still a possibility.

One thing that I have noticed is that once these are wounded (injected) then the peppermint shrimp start to work on them. I hope the calcium isn't bad for my peps.

Jeff
Jeff Rasmussen

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 1:15am
Their may be hope for majano removal after all!!

I believe it is called spurilla.

Now I just need to find some.

Jeff
Jeff Rasmussen

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 3:00am

I usually don't bother with something I can't get to.

How did they get those two to pose for that portrait?

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

How did they get those two to pose for that portrait?

It's amazing what you can do with Super Glue!!  
Jeff Rasmussen

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 9:20pm
OK,

Picked up a Kleins butterfly today to experiment with the majano outbreak. He is a fairly large fish and has not yet touched any majano in my tank yet (after about 6 hours). He has nipped at my kenya tree, eaten a ton of my tiny feather dusters, and torn a huge polyp from my leather. If I can catch him he is going into the sump!!!

Help Me Mark!!!!!! Is there a specific process to this??

Edited by jeffras
Jeff Rasmussen

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 9:49pm

I'm sorry, each fish is different as well as the aquarium it goes into. I have the fish trap. Call me.

I would also try turning on the lights in the middle of the night and if the fish is anywhere a net can reach the lights blind it for a few seconds, hopefully just long enough to catch it. 

Edited by Mark Peterson
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 11:19pm
No, problem Mark. It's not your fault that this fish likes the same things we do. 

So, I caught him (about an hour of bribing him into a net) and I'm sure he is now eating everything in my sump.   I did learn that my tangs are either dumb or fearless because they spent most of their time in my net trap eating my bait.

I now have him up for trade. If I can't trade him I will have to engineer a tiny shock colar and start training him. He really is a good looking fish.

So I would say that this was a successful experiment. Because this guy will eat anything (I even saw him nip at a mushroom) I'm sure he would eat the majano. But definitly not reef safe! Meanwhile, I'm sticking to calcium injections and ,as per Mark's instructions, manual removal. I have found that after about an hour of being full of calcium, the majano come off fairly easy.

Jeff
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic