Why don’t Aiptasia Eating Filefish seem popular.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22216AEC-0062-4DE6-AE6C-DAF7371E4137.jpeg

I think these are cool fish—they just don’t seem very popular. Any reason why? I love mine...

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they are an amazing species but think it was unfair to brand them as aiptasia eating filefish. Most files will eat aiptasia given the chance but someone saw a chance to increase their sales with a species that isn't completely reef safe, since this has become common knowledge it's popularity has slumped.
They make really good inhabitants of algae based display tanks as this is where they are naturally found.

OP
OP
JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting, so “thank you” for the insight. I was in fact parroting back what my LFS calls them; likely, as you say, to increase sales! :)

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he darts back and forth around the tank (for his daily workout regimen). So far he's been a good citizen & doesn't touch or nibble on my coral collections (so far ;) ). As for aiptasia ... it seems like he doesn't eat the big ones so far.

When the lights go out, it tends to hang motionless around corner of tanks or any stationery corals and usually at a 45˚ angle position.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have generally done a great job eating majanos and aiptasia and due to their slow nature and predictable hiding spots they’re easy to remove when/if they get a taste for coral.

OP
OP
JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sure are easy enough to remove... I usually scoop mine out in a plastic milk jug with a large piece of the top cut away. I glide it over to him, while distracting him— “Hey look over there—a SQUIRREL!” Ha, ha, ha!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sure are easy enough to remove... I usually scoop mine out in a plastic milk jug with a large piece of the top cut away. I glide it over to him, while distracting him— “Hey look over there—a SQUIRREL!” Ha, ha, ha!
Perhaps their best attribute! Mine have always hung out at the top of the tank by the overflows/powerheads you could almost grab them with your hand!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back