Majanos! How do you get rid of them?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty severe majano infestation. It's never really bothered me as I've always been more of a fish guy. I recently started collecting some finer LPS corals, acros and other SPS which are currently in another tank of mine. One day I hope to move these corals to my DT and I want to "clean" it up first.

So what method(s) do you use, and are there any side effects? Thanks in advance!

#reefsquad

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just a few and the rock can be easily taken out of tank, I normally just take a torch lighter and hit the infected spot and deep in the the cave its living at then rinse with saltwater and back in tank.
Never had one reappear.
If infection is worse and has taken over then I simply bleach the system by pouring in a cup or 2 (depending on the system size) and letting it run for few days then drain and air dry. Rinse sand and re start.

Last edited:

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed up a kalk paste and laid it on thick. I had a nice little mojano garden and now I am down to 2 that didn’t get covered enough to kill them, stayed shriveled and sad for a few weeks though. Eventually I’ll get around to the survivors lol.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had good luck with a matted file fish. Got it when it was about the size of a quarter and it didn't start nipping my lps until it got much bigger could have just got sick of flakes and reef frenzy after he wiped most of them out. The couple stragglers got hit with kalk paste.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, if you were lucky your majano would look like these.

They still exploded from 2 to 10 in a month and I got scared. ;-)

Aptasia X was great.
4533de069d55d96bd838fe01b5f409f4.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, if you were lucky your majano would look like these.

They still exploded from 2 to 10 in a month and I got scared. ;-)

Aptasia X was great.

Do Manjo's release spores like Aiptasia?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so apparently nobody took note of the ‘severe infestation’ comment. Things like joes juice, aiptasia x and lasers work ok on just a few; but are neither effective nor practical for severe infestations. You need a biological solution of which a fish predator is the most predictable. My personal favorite is the Asfur angel, though emperor and regal are good as well. All will likely eat zoanthids as well. File fish is ok, though not as predictable as the asfur.

I don’t believe majanos release spores like aiptasia. They reproduce by fission.

Last edited:

TB Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AiptasiaX worked for mine. I had about 10 of them at the peak, which I know isn’t a lot. I had to hit a couple of them 2 times but finally got rid of all of them. Now if only there was an easy way to get rid of vermetid snails...

ChiSox Rabbitfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used aiptasia x it works fine and doesn’t harm anything else I did keep one little anemone he’s pretty cool but got rid of about 6 others

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so apparently nobody took note of the ‘severe infestation’ comment. Things like joes juice, aiptasia x and lasers work ok on just a few; but are neither effective nor practical for severe infestations. You need a biological solution of which a fish predator is the most predicable. My personal favorite is the Ashura angel, though emperor and regal are good as well. All will likely eat zoanthids as well. File fish is ok, though not as predictable as the asfur.

I don’t believe majanos release spores like aiptasia. They reproduce by fission.
You could gently 'ice pick' many of them off and siphon with a hose while doing a water change.

Similar to siphoning red flat worms.

Won't be a 1 day event.

Our totally cool file fish went rogue on the softies second day in the tank.

Loved the small size and cool camo pattern but like the corals more.

Yellow 'coris' wrasse is the only pest control I have been happy with.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back