Aiptasia? Majano? Or just a nice coral I don't know?

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought rock from LFS with several corals on it. Just noticed these polyps and not sure if I need to be concerned. They do flouresce somewhat under blue light.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone also identified the smaller, more purple colored ones at the base of the palys.
They have no tentacles or stalks.

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing some reading about palytoxin, I think I'd prefer to not take the risk of having these in my tank. I do see where some people say they are safe, but with kids and pets around, I unfortunately shouldn't risk it.

Ok to cut them off and glue over the base like you would for aiptasia? (I'll wear protective gear of course)

ccoffel81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing some reading about palytoxin, I think I'd prefer to not take the risk of having these in my tank. I do see where some people say they are safe, but with kids and pets around, I unfortunately shouldn't risk it.

Ok to cut them off and glue over the base like you would for aiptasia? (I'll wear protective gear of course)

The toxin is Panicked about way too much take precautions you’ll be fine I will get a lot of slack for saying this but I don’t wear gloves or I don’t wear glasses I pull cut scrape them off and not have any issues although the toxin and builds in the system over time, the human body, so a lifetime of dealing with it you may become sensitive overtime. I have been poisoned with it before raises your heartbeat makes it hard to breathe but that’s about it, and the only reason is because I had a cut on my finger so I never get in my tank with wounds.

Last edited:

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep them under control with kalk paste, you can do a quick search on how to make it with kalkwasser powder. I also wouldn't get overly concerned with the paly toxin.

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly theres so much more risk in trying to cut them or cement them down. People pay for these corals and id accept that freeby for sure.

They can grow fast like other zoas so maybe seperate the rock.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some really really good reading regarding what paly's are safe to keep and what are toxic: https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

If the closed polyps have ridges they are more than likely the safe phenotype - if not then it's time for gloves and goggles and tons of activated carbon!

I keep and propagate the nontoxic phenotype because I kinda like them despite the fact 90% of reefkeepers hate them!

Chemistry tip: If you want to dispose of the palytoxin producing ones cut them off into a bucket of bleach - bleach will destroy the toxin

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toxin is Panicked about way too much take precautions you’ll be fine I will get a lot of slack for saying this but I don’t wear gloves or I don’t wear glasses I pull cut scrape them off and not have any issues although the toxin and builds in the system over time, the human body, so a lifetime of dealing with it you may become sensitive overtime. I have been poisoned with it before raises your heartbeat makes it hard to breathe but that’s about it, and the only reason is because I had a cut on my finger so I never get in my tank with wounds.

Well I think it'd be safe to say that caution should be exercised with these ones in particular. The ridges on the capitular skirt are characteristic of Palythoa mutuki, possibly one of the most toxic (if not the most toxic) species of palythoa. Most species in our hobby are less toxic and subsequently won't really be that bad if you get poisoned. And trust me, I'm a marine biologist :)

ccoffel81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think it'd be safe to say that caution should be exercised with these ones in particular. The ridges on the capitular skirt are characteristic of Palythoa mutuki, possibly one of the most toxic (if not the most toxic) species of palythoa. Most species in our hobby are less toxic and subsequently won't really be that bad if you get poisoned. And trust me, I'm a marine biologist :)

Oh I know how toxic, thank you for the information being a marine biologist. I believe that most of the poisonous or do to people scrubbing there rocks with brushes and Aerate the poison. Just my beliefs. If people are worried just show caution then you will be okay.

ccoffel81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have always heard as a rule of thumb that green is very toxic along with purple followed. Is this true?

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The article by Joe states differently

"Palythoa cf mutuki is by far the most frequently seen species for sale, but identifying it from its toxic congener can be a challenge. It is important to understand the differences, though, as cf mutuki is thought to possess little, if any, palytoxin."

I keep Palythoa cf mutuki with no problems - perhaps you are thinking of the deadly toxic and ridgeless Palythoa heliodiscus?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article by Joe states differently

"Palythoa cf mutuki is by far the most frequently seen species for sale, but identifying it from its toxic congener can be a challenge. It is important to understand the differences, though, as cf mutuki is thought to possess little, if any, palytoxin."

I keep Palythoa cf mutuki with no problems - perhaps you are thinking of the deadly toxic and ridgeless Palythoa heliodiscus?

I assume you're referring to Joe Rowlett? Maybe, I do tend to get them confused. I work with sharks not zoanthids haha

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are the palys that bad that the picture shows. Cause I have some which I bought as a frag when I got into reefing. There was like 2 of them on a frag when I bought them. I bought them cause it was only $5. Now over a year they have covered a rock & have spread to another rock. I like them, but I don’t like them. IF I wanted to dispose of them could I just take the rock out and let it dry up?
fba011f0a7e867a4342b87223a863b7b.jpg
20a5d4a5ff0538a2680f7d716eee9452.jpg

ccoffel81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are the palys that bad that the picture shows. Cause I have some which I bought as a frag when I got into reefing. There was like 2 of them on a frag when I bought them. I bought them cause it was only $5. Now over a year they have covered a rock & have spread to another rock. I like them, but I don’t like them. IF I wanted to dispose of them could I just take the rock out and let it dry up?
fba011f0a7e867a4342b87223a863b7b.jpg
20a5d4a5ff0538a2680f7d716eee9452.jpg

All are toxic, like everyone has said practice safe husbandry and you will be OK.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ Palythoa mutuki - thought to be the least toxic of the palythoa sold in reef shops - still goggles are probably a good idea

I actually sort of like them

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back