Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I have the latest Ipod Classic, use it only with my home stereo, I have the AV to line out wire that I connect to the headphones jack. I remember reading some time ago that if you bypassed the headphone jack and connected an adapter to the bottom 30 pin, you would get a superior sound, is this true, is it worth the hassle? And do you have to go expensive or can you get a sound upgrade without breaking the bank.

Update: Currently I have the 3.5mm male to male wire that goes out from the headphone jack and connects to an older stereo with the red and white jacks.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yeah the line level audio output from the dock connector will sound a lot cleaner to an audio input. 30-pin to RCA output or 30-pin to 3.5mm

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I think the latest Classic requires an authentic cable or else it won't output the sound.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC748AM/A/apple-composite-av-cable
I know for a fact that this is not true because I have the last Classic and I use a black 30-pin line-out cable which does work on multiple stereo receivers.

All of Apple's branded iPod cables were white, so it's definitely a third-party cable. I'm sorry I don't know who manufactured it, it was purchased a long time ago. There are a few of these for sale at Amazon, so clearly there is more than one manufacturer.

Note that the iPod Classic also outputs unconverted digital audio on the 30-pin connector. You can use some external DACs to convert this signal to analog audio. I have a discontinued NuForce Icon iDO DAC for this purpose (I think it was $200 when I bought it new many years ago). That is about has high-fidelity you can get out of an iPod Classic. I have a bunch of ALAC files, mostly ripped from CDs on this Classic.

Admittedly the $5 cable is a better value than the iPod external DAC.

Last edited:

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I know for a fact that this is not true because I have the last Classic and I use a black 30-pin line-out cable which does work on multiple stereo receivers.

All of Apple's branded iPod cables were white, so it's definitely a third-party cable. I'm sorry I don't know who manufactured it, it was purchased a long time ago. There are a few of these for sale at Amazon, so clearly there is more than one manufacturer.

Note that the iPod Classic also outputs unconverted digital audio on the 30-pin connector. You can use some external DACs to convert this signal to analog audio. I have a discontinued NuForce Icon iDO DAC for this purpose (I think it was $200 when I bought it new many years ago). That is about has high-fidelity you can get out of an iPod Classic. I have a bunch of ALAC files, mostly ripped from CDs on this Classic.

Admittedly the $5 cable is a better value than the iPod external DAC.

What gives me pause is the fact that another site wrote that the use of lineout taxes the battery on the Classic and you no longer have volume control, are there any detriments to using it in your opinion?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I doubt it makes a difference in battery power. Yes, u can't dial in the volume on the iPod. You control volume with the radio, just like other audio equipment.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
What gives me pause is the fact that another site wrote that the use of lineout taxes the battery on the Classic and you no longer have volume control, are there any detriments to using it in your opinion?
The 30-pin line out cable I use has a USB connector for charging the iPod. I haven't tried operating the iPod with the line-out cable without some sort of power.

I use the volume control on whatever device the line-out cable is plugged into, typically an A/V receiver which is the usual way I control volume for any device that is plugged in using line output (e.g., DVD player, CD player, Blu-ray player).

I can't remember any detriments using this cable over the years I've owned it. It's just a cheap way to get better quality audio that what is sent from the headphone jack.

Similarly, I have an old iPod dock that is connected to another stereo. The dock has a 30-pin port plus a line-out stereo mini plug port. A USB-to-30-pin cable provides power to keep the iPod charged, but the audio comes from the line-out port and goes into the A/V receiver with a stereo mini plug to RCA L-R cable.

In the end, I don't think it matters that much for the typical consumer. I am ripping classical CDs to ALAC, but the sound quality difference isn't going to be much if you listen to normal contemporary music.

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've always used the line output on the iPod Universal Dock with mine. No longer sold but you can pick them up fairly cheap on eBay.

iPodDockUniv-large.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.