Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2009, 05:04 PM   #1
ebony1
Premium Member

Is this an Aiptasia Anemone? ID Help

Looking for a little ID help here.

I had a green bubble tip anemone that was lost in a turbo jet one night. About three weeks later I noticed what I thought was a baby anenome. Being a newbie I thought the anenome was an offshoot from the one that died and I began feeding it and it grew (picture attached). Now there are probably 30 (you can see a smaller one above the main 'anemome' in the picture). While at my lfs recently I asked their opinion and they were confident the 'anemone was an Aiptasia Anemone. I've searched online but the pictures I've seen don't have the same resemblance.

Any thoughts? Is this an Aiptasia Anemone? If yes, it looks like I'm in trouble.

Thanks in advance,

ebony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 05:45 PM   #2
ladyonyx
Registered Member

It certainly doesn't look like aiptasia. But the rapid growth sounds like it. I'd say no

ladyonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 05:57 PM   #3
jmadison
rebmeM deretsigeR

Mojano anemone, equally as invasive...

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. -Confucius

Current Tank Info: Construction Zone
jmadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 06:02 PM   #4
dudley moray
sisternofuselessknowledge

that looks like a bubble tip to me mojanos look like aiptasia with a more club shaped tentacle ,it could also be a mushroom of some sort

Current Tank Info: 90 gal south pacific biotope 40 gal sump/fuge ,65 gal rebuilding
dudley moray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 06:04 PM   #5
dudley moray
sisternofuselessknowledge

it is definitely not aiptasia and that thing above it is a zoo polyp

Current Tank Info: 90 gal south pacific biotope 40 gal sump/fuge ,65 gal rebuilding
dudley moray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 07:29 PM   #6
shovel
Registered Member

i almost said manjo then those bubble tips and the thickness of them tentcles gotta say anemone

shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 08:23 PM   #7
ebony1
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dudley moray
it is definitely not aiptasia and that thing above it is a zoo polyp
Thanks for the input. I don't know if this is helpful, but the larger anemone looked identical to the smaller 'thing' in the picture when I started first feeding it. So I'm pretty sure they're the same species.

Unread 05/03/2009, 09:31 PM   #8
NCSUsalt
Registered Member

it is a majano with a smaller majano above it.

NCSUsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 09:45 PM   #9
gemmasicolo
Registered Member

I say Majano also. Luckly my peppermint shrimp ate all of mine along with my aiptasia, never saw anotherone again! But that doesn't work with everyone.

gemmasicolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Kreator
Registered Member

The dreaded Majano, those multiple faster than Aiptasia. Get some peppermint shrimp or a Copperband butterfly fish. I haven't seen an Aiptasia in over 2 years...

Kreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 08:00 PM   #11
ebony1
Premium Member

Well, it sounds like consensus is the Majano Anemone. Darn. I've included a couple more pictures as a desperate attempt that someone will disagree. I have a peppermint shrimp but he doesn't seem to touch them. Time to start researching, but any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

Here's a picture of the larger 'Majano' I've been feeding. You can see a smaller one above him.

Here's a pic of a younger 'Majano'. The larger one looked exactly like this one when it was smaller.