Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2007, 07:50 PM   #1
20Gallon
Registered Member

Pink Tip Anemones Available

Hi,
Been a while since I posted, I have some small pink tip anemones(green tentacles w/pink tips) available, most between nickel & quarter size. They multiply fairly quickly so I need to get rid of some. I have a rock with 10-12 on it that I'd like to sell/trade if possible. I live in Liverpool(near Syracuse) Let me know if interested. Thanks.

John Newman

20Gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2007, 10:02 PM   #2
acdraindrps
Registered Member

Are they tulip anemones?

acdraindrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2007, 09:18 AM   #3
20Gallon
Registered Member

Yes that's what they look like!

20Gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2007, 07:36 AM   #4
nwrogers
Got gorgs?

John:

What you are describing sounds to me like Majano anemones. They are things most people don't want in there tank. They are like Aiptasia…

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/bp/index.php

Current Tank Info: 65g RR Coral Reef SSB w/ 150lbs Fiji Live Rock, Hydor Koralia Wavemaker 2 w/ 2 K4's, 1 175w 10K SE MH, 2 VHO Super Actinic, Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper, ASM G3 Skimmer, Korallin Calcium Reactor, GEO kalk reactor, 75g basement sump
nwrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2007, 10:26 AM   #5
fat-tony
Registered Member

They are like aiptasia, but not as quick spreading. Some people do in fact like them in their tank, so best of luck with the sale.

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef. Icecap 660 3x5' T5HO Icecap 430 2x6' VHO actinic
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2007, 11:58 AM   #6
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nwrogers
John:

What you are describing sounds to me like Majano anemones. They are things most people don't want in there tank. They are like Aiptasia…

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/bp/index.php
If they are the Majano type anemone, I made what I consider now to be a mistake in allowing a couple that came in on a coral frag to live...fast forward a few years later and for the past couple of months I have siphoned out at least 400 of them and have several hundred still in the sump and possibly 50-100 left in the main tank. Once they spread enough they start to keep your corals from opening up fully and simply become a pain in the butt.

That is my experience with them.

KurtsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2007, 02:26 PM   #7
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

"Tulip anemones" haven't been identified as a Majano spp. to the best of my knowledge.
As far as I know, URS member Guy was the person that introduced them to reefkeeping community at large and they're fairly easy to keep under control - not as prolific as Aiptasia for example (IMO & IME)
There are lots of threads regarding "tulips"- do a search.
Here's one such thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...=tulip+anemone

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2007, 06:06 PM   #8
fat-tony
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
"Tulip anemones" haven't been identified as a Majano spp. to the best of my knowledge.
As far as I know, URS member Guy was the person that introduced them to reefkeeping community at large and they're fairly easy to keep under control - not as prolific as Aiptasia for example (IMO & IME)
There are lots of threads regarding "tulips"- do a search.
Here's one such thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...=tulip+anemone
thank you, i didn't want to get into that part. Everyone seems to throw them under the same umbrella

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef. Icecap 660 3x5' T5HO Icecap 430 2x6' VHO actinic
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2007, 08:49 PM   #9
acdraindrps
Registered Member

With my experience tulip nems don't sting my corals. The reason your corals aren't opening up might be simply because your tank is overpopulated with them and they are being more of a bother than fatal to your corals, such as growing over them.

I have not heard of anything that eats them until nwrogers post about the nudis. I don't think that the ones you have in your tank are the majano sp.

What frag did they come in on and where did you get it from? I work at aquatech and one of the tanks is teaming with them. Someone wanted one so bad because they were "cute." I advised against it because I told her they would overun her tank but she still wanted one and I gave her a few.

acdraindrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2007, 07:38 AM   #10
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtsReef
If they are the Majano type anemone
Just wanted to point out I said "IF" The pictured anemone in this thread has pink tips that the anemones in my tank do not have, however IF it does sting corals and does multiply rather quickly it may become a pest.

I do not have experience with the "Tulip", with the exception of the pink tips it looks much like the problem Majano's in my aquarium.

KurtsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

research Bicolor Pygmy Angelfish, Kurt.

Unread 05/25/2007, 10:32 AM   #12
nwrogers
Got gorgs?

I had a Bicolor Pygmy Angelfish in my tank once and it loved eating my SPS and my brain coral. I am sure there are more types of LPS it would have loved to eat but I don't have many LPS corals in the tank he was in. I know Jerry has one that is pretty well behaved but mine was not so IME it is a risk. I suppose all angels are a risk but this one more than others I have had. I personally wouldn’t recommend this fish to someone but if you like to live on the edge this guy is for you

Current Tank Info: 65g RR Coral Reef SSB w/ 150lbs Fiji Live Rock, Hydor Koralia Wavemaker 2 w/ 2 K4's, 1 175w 10K SE MH, 2 VHO Super Actinic, Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper, ASM G3 Skimmer, Korallin Calcium Reactor, GEO kalk reactor, 75g basement sump
Unread 05/25/2007, 01:27 PM   #13
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Most importantly (in this particular case) Centropyge bicolor is known to eat Majano spp. anemones.

Unread 05/25/2007, 01:59 PM   #14
nwrogers
Got gorgs?

Yes Centropyge bicolor will eat many things in a reef tank some good and some bad. No fish that will eat these anemones is 100% reef safe. Just wanted to caution you on my experience with the bicolor that’s all, I was not trying to question the fish’s effectiveness against Majano anemones. Only you can decide if this fish is worth the risk and it may be.